While people are rushing to the polls today to get their vote in, I am sitting at home with the boy. We just had a long conversation about what we are thankful for. The stuff that most often we take for granted because (thanks be to God) we've always had it. But this is not the case for many people, children, in other parts of the world.
For the past three years our family has sponsored a child through Compassion International. We've prayed for him, sent him money each month, and wrote him letters. This has been very rewarding for us in many ways. We know that God has called us to do this. But today, I feel that God is telling me that we aren't praying enough or writing enough or doing enough.
Several months ago, I felt a pressing on my soul to adopt a child. My heart leaned toward Ethiopia. I prayed about it very much. The hubbs did not feel that same calling. It came to a head with me going away to a monastery for two days on a silent prayer retreat. I began to pray that if God wanted us to adopt then for Him to make a way and make that affirmation in both mine and the hubbs heart. I also prayed that if it was not in His plan for our family then to please take the desire away from me as it was consuming my every thought. Well, the next week we found out the boy had diabetes. Of course, the thought and desire was removed from my heart.
I am again feeling the desire press into my heart and soul again. Perhaps it is because I finally dealt with some things last night that were keeping me in bondage. I feel today like a load has lifted off and nothing has really changed except that I finally shared some things that have been weighing on my heart.
So, all of my stuff aside, here is your challenge for today.
- Be sure to watch the video at the beginning of the post. The song is by a friend, Peder Eide, whose heart is deeply aligned with Compassion and the work they do.
- Go to the Compassion website and check out what they do and look at some of the kids who need sponsoring.
- PRAY! Pray about what God might have you do and how you could help.
- Check out these blogs if you need more inspiration or stories about Compassion.
5 Minutes for Moms
- Go to my friend's site and buy a shirt so she can adopt a child in Ethiopia. It's expensive and she's raising money.
"For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve ..." (Mark 10:45).