Skip to main content

Monday Mercies #4 - 12/1/08




In the recent past, I have been active in teaching and leading youth at the church we were previously at. As I would teach, I would often remind the students that, as Christians, we are to constantly be a light that shines for Jesus to others. This has been an easy subject for me to reach the kids with, as the Bible says a lot about being a light to others. As I write this, I am reminded of a story that I have heard several times before.
When Robert Louis Stevenson, an author famous for his classic children's tales, was a child he was getting ready to go to bed one evening. His nanny came in to check on him and found him out of bed and staring out the window. She walked over and looked out the window to see the lamplighter going down the street lighting the streetlights. The nanny asked, "Robert what are you looking at?" The little boy, while never taking his gaze off of the window, exclaimed, "Look! I am watching the man put holes in the darkness!"
On our own, we may not be able to change the whole world. What we can do is make our own holes in the darkness. If each one of us began to put holes in the darkness that surrounds us, we could really shine some light into this dark world we live in. Each one of us has the ability to shine a light, and there will always be someone in our path who will need to see the light of Jesus. Remember when we were young and we used to sing that simple song?

This little light of mine
I'm going to let it shine
This little light of mine
I'm going to let it shine
This little light of mine
I'm going to let it shine
Let it shine, shine, shine
Let it shine!

Precious Lord,
Thank you for being a light for us. We know there is no brighter light that will ever shine than you and your holiness. We know that you will put people into our path that need to see your light. Thank you for that honor and privilege. Father, go with us today and everyday and help us to put holes in the darkness for You. Father, please use us as your vessels. May our actions, thoughts, and speech glorify you.
In Your Holy Name,
Amen

Comments

Rebekah said…
Thank you for the reminder. I love the story! The song brings back many good childhood memories too.