Skip to main content

Change is inevitable


Here are my thoughts from last night. Well, just a few of them anyway.

  • Change is coming. I like change...sometimes. Change is good....sometimes. Or maybe I am not as comfortable with change as I think I am. But the truth is - it is time for change in this country. Change in a good way. Now, I am not going to tell you who my vote went to. That's my right and freedom. I will say that I come from grandparents who were staunch Democrats and from parents who, at least in years past, would say they are Republican. And now, at this point in my life I think I am an Independent, although I'm not registered as one! (DON'T write me about that)! It's my choice to vote for the person I think will do the best job. This year was tough. But change is coming. I hope it's for the better.

  • Why must the United States be so divisive? I was sickened when the returns were coming in last night and they (at least on one channel) were breaking down the vote based on things like "white evangelical Christians" and "people without a college degree". Well, I never once saw the stats based on the "black evangelical vote" (yes there are those out there) or "the people who have a PhD". Why, oh why, must we constantly look for ways to keep dividing our country? My grandmother didn't have past an 8th grade education and she was one of the smartest women I know. My grandfather was valedictorian of his class but doesn't have much to show for it.
  • The race was historic. For the entire history of this country we have had a white male president. That changed last night. History was made. I like to be part of history being made for the better. The boy and I were reading a children's book from the library about the Civil War today. There was a small blip about the Ku Klux Klan and I had to explain to him what that was all about (in 6-year old terms, of course). He's been fortunate to be around people of all races and cultures in his short little life and in his innocence never knew that wasn't ok or that some people had (or still do have) a problem with that. He struggled to understand how the color of skin matters like that. Son, I do too. But I do know that God came and lives for every person no matter what color, culture, or yes, even religion they profess. He loves us all and died for us all. It's our choice to accept that, but it doesn't change it on His end. Praise Him!
  • I appreciate classy losers. The fact is McCain lost. And I was appalled that people would boo. I just think that's not classy no matter what the situation. But, I admire McCain's words. They should inspire us all to be better Americans. Soon, we will have a new president in office and just what if we all worked together for the good of each other, our country, and our world (Somewhere, someone is singing "We are the World"...)?
  • Hope was in the air. I sensed it - no matter who my vote may have gone to. As I watched those children on stage during the acceptance speech, I had to go peek in on my son who was sleeping. Well, he actually wasn't asleep yet and so I told him who'd won and he went "Yes"! Now, let me say that he has no idea who his dad and I gave our vote to. We aren't "all politics" at our house, and we aren't trying to sway him one way or another. He's only 6! But, his little 6 year old world was inspired by Obama. I looked at those kids on that stage and looked at my son and thought to myself, "I want them to have hope! I want them to have peace! I want them to have every opportunity they can have". I am a firm believer that the "unyielding hope" President-Elect Obama was talking about in all truth is Christ. I know that many don't share that same opinion, but that's what I believe - what I know - and what I'm teaching my son. I believe that all hope is not lost for our country.
And so, finally, after watching all the returns come in and the speeches and some commentary - I went to sleep. And this quote from famed playwright and author Victor Hugo came to me: "Go to sleep in peace. God is awake". God is awake. So I will get up each day and try to be the best Christ follower, wife, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and American I can be. Because God is awake.

Comments